Ferrol - Urban History
Franco Period
New town hall in the Parade Ground (c. 1955)

1936 saw the execution of Ferrol's first socialist mayor from the Second Republic. With all political parties banned, all subsequent mayors would be appointed directly by the government authorities. Paradoxically, this was when the city council abandoned the humble building it had occupied for one and a half centuries. A new, monumental town hall was built in 1953 in the so-called 'imperial style', stuffy and reminiscent of the Monastery of El Escorial, so beloved by the hierarchy of Franco's regime. The new building occupied part of the Parade Ground and radically altered its perspective. At the same time the Obelisk of Churruca was moved to the gardens of the Capitanía Palace.

Ferrol City Council, Postcard collection
Close