Ferrol - Urban History
Franco Period
The 'Alameda', with the Dockyards on the left (c. 1950)

In the 1940's a ring road was built alongside the Dockyard wall (to the left), which finally connected the neighbourhoods of Esteiro, La Magdalena, and Ferrol Vello. It also consecrated the principle that the city should grow with its back to the sea, a fine symbol of which was the fact that the old wall separating the 'Alameda' from the naval and military installations made it impossible to see the coast. To the right we see the former prison in the foreground, which now served as the command post for the military government.

Ferrol City Council, Postcard collection
Close