Ferrol - Urban History
Franco Period
A street in the Esteiro district (c. 1940-50)

Esteiro continued to deteriorate after the Civil War, with some of its streets taking on the typical appearance of red-light districts in ports. Practically the entire neighbourhood was subjected to compulsory purchase throughout the 1960s, and demolished in 1974 by the last pro-Franco city council, basing its decision on the area's deterioration. All that remained were the two rows of houses running alongside San Carlos Street.

Ferrol City Council, Postcard collection
Close