Ferrol - Urban History
Franco Period
(Our Lady of) 'Pilar' Council Housing (2004)

In the 1950s the 'Instituto Nacional de la Vivienda' (Spanish State Department of Housing) organized the building of small blocks of council houses for workers. The Navy, the Army, and some public companies acted as property developers in Ferrol, whereas the 'Instituto' made the land available. This small estate of 72 homes was built for workers from Bazán. It was inaugurated in 1951, on the outskirts of what would come to be the new district of Caranza. The main roads were named with letters of the alphabet; the side streets, with a number.

Photograph by the author
Close