Ferrol - Urban History
Consolidation
Dolores Square, or the Amboage Square (early twentieth century)

Throughout the nineteenth century, the square held the city's food market. In 1892 the stands moved to the new municipal food market, and Dolores Square became the city's first public square. Three years later the city council erected a statue in honour of the Marquis of Amboage, and the square was given his name. In 1917 steps were built to improve the perspective. With the exception of the Dolores Church (to the right) the rest of the buildings at the time were very modest in appearance. In the foreground we can see a group of children sitting around a nanny.

Ferrol City Council, Postcard collection
Close