Ferrol - Urban History
Consolidation
Campana careening dock (1908)

In the second half of the nineteenth century the city altered its 'Age of Enlightenment' layout. In 1859 Ferrol lost its sea front, and its main public space was mutilated when the Dockyards' enclosing wall was moved forward and devoured part of the 'Alameda'. The aim was to make space for a new careening dock, suitable for iron-hull warships. The Campana Dock was designed by the engineer Comerma and built in 1873-9, and was the largest in the world at the time. More than 200 women were employed in transporting materials, whilst construction work led to such a large number of accidents that the city council was forced to organize and finance a special clinic for the purpose, the 'Casa de Socorro'.

VVAA, A Memoria de Ferrol (Vigo, 2002), Edicións Xerais
Close