Ferrol - Urban History
Consolidation
Inauguration of Ferrol's tramway (1922)

The first horse-drawn tramway was opened in 1892. In the following decades Ferrol developed a network stretching some ten kilometres along the 'Castilla Road', which was electrified in 1924 and completed in 1932, connecting the city with the northern shore of the estuary. Workers in the shipbuilding industry and sellers of agricultural products soon found that this was a cheap and easy way to travel to the city on a daily basis. In turn, the 'good families' of the city started to build their villas on the outskirts of Ferrol, along the route covered by the tramway.

Cadernos Ferrol Análisis, Ferrol en fotos un século atrás (1998), © Club de Prensa de Ferrol
Close