Ferrol - Urban History
Consolidation
Charity Hospital and clinic (early twentieth century)

In the first half of the nineteenth century the Spanish government preferred to rely on health care at home, and reserved hospital care for the poor and helpless. However, throughout the period of the Restoration, the State gradually took over hospital care through its city and provincial councils. In 1878, at the installations of the old Charity Hospital, the 'Casa de Socorro' was inaugurated; a clinic intended to deal with the problem of the large number of accidents at the naval installations, particularly the numerous casualties from the construction of the Campana Dock. From 1892 the clinic started to offer free medical consultations for the poor. As a municipal institution, the hospital was financed with the profits made from the Jofre Theatre.

Ferrol City Council, Postcard collection
Close