Ferrol - Urban History
Foundation
Capitanía Palace, facing the Dockyards

The Commander-in-Chief of the Navy took charge of the construction of the city. He dictated by-laws, appointed the mayor until 1774, and was the 'Military Chief of the Fortress'. His headquarters were at the Capitanía Palace, the first building constructed (in 1760) in the neighbourhood of La Magdalena. Built as a kind of watchtower over the city and the Dockyards, there was a sentry box on its roof from which signals from the Dockyards' guardsmen could be received. For nearly two centuries, major demonstrations of support for or protest against the Navy would take place before it.

Guillermo Escrigas, Postcard collection
Close