Ferrol - Urban History
Foundation
San Julián Church (early twentieth century)

The Church of San Julián forms part of the carefully planned setting designed by military engineer Sánchez Bort that stretches along both sides of the 'Alameda', between the Dockyards and La Magdalena. The construction of San Julián drained all of the funds of the Wine Tax Board, a mixed civil and military body (despite being directed by the Commander-in-Chief of the Navy), which managed the town's main source of income; all during years as difficult for public financing as those that followed the Seven Years War. Since its consecration in 1765, the church has been a favourite location for civil and military ceremonies, and the rites of passage of the town's bourgeoisie and naval officers.

Ferrol City Council, Postcard collection.
Close