Ferrol - Urban History
Foundation
A corner of the Esteiro district (1925)

Due to the decision to build the shipyards in advance, the workers had to be accommodated in nearby areas: first, in barracks, later in wooden huts, and finally in stone houses. Initially intended to be demolished, they had a decidedly temporary look. During the first half of the nineteenth century the neighbourhood started to decline, a result of inattention by the town authorities and the poverty of its inhabitants, struck by unemployment.

VVAA, A Memoria de Ferrol (Vigo, 2002), Edicións Xerais
Close