Ferrol - Urban History
Foundation
Park Dockyard, showing the breakwater and the Arms Hall (1850)

The Dockyards were built in 1752-70, for equipping and repairing the great ships of the fleet. They were situated around a large dock protected by a breakwater armed with a battery of cannons. Next to the breakwater the Park Dockyard was built (1752-62). It acted as a storehouse for the supplies of arms (the Arms Hall, in the background) and equipment, and the facilities where masts and spars were assembled.

Lithograph of Josť Alonso Esquivel (1850), © Museo Naval de Madrid. Modified by J. Gelpi
Close