Ferrol - Urban History
Foundation
Park Dockyard, showing the 'Machina de Arbolar' (1850)

The Park Dockyard was built in 1752-62. Next to the Arms Hall (in the background) a series of buildings were erected for holding canvas, rigging, and other equipment, together with the facilities where masts and spars were assembled, in particular, the 'Machina de Arbolar', a crane installed in 1825 driven by steam, the only significant innovation in the dockyards in the first decades of the nineteenth century.

Lithograph of Josť Alonso Esquivel (1850), © Museo Naval de Madrid. Modified by J. Gelpi
Close