Ferrol - Urban History
Foundation
Arms Hall, in the Park Dockyard (1903)

While docked, the ships had their weaponry removed, partly to prevent riots by either the 'maestranza' or seamen. The Arms Hall was inaugurated in 1766 to hold cannons (on the ground floor) and rifles (on the first floor). Its design, inspired by French models, was the work of several engineers, particularly Sánchez Bort. Beyond functional concerns, its monumental nature may be seen in its interior stairway and the classic facade, together with the spacious courtyard that stretches out before it facing the sea, behind the 'Battery of the Cortina', receiving ships docking in the port.

Ferrol City Council, Postcard collection
Close