Ferrol - Urban History
Foundation
Dock Gate, Ferrol's Dockyard (c. 1900)

The monumental Dock Gate (1765) was designed by the engineer Sánchez Bort, and it was the only entrance to the Dockyards. It was crowned by Carlos III's coat of arms, and not only welcomed the workers; it was also displayed before the whole population. The large clock at the top set the pace of work, as well as that of city life, as did the siren that indicated when the 'maestranza' were to start and finish work. In front of the Dock Gate, the Obelisk of Fame was built.

Ferrol City Council, Postcard collection
Close