Ferrol - Urban History
Foundation
Esteiro Shipyards (1850)

In the reign of Fernando VI and under the rule of the Marquis of Ensenada, the Shipyards and the civil and military sheds were moved to their current location out on the estuary. The aim was to look for waters of deep draught and an area adjacent to the coast that was a suitable site for the new city. The most urgent task was to start work on the first vessels. For this reason, separate shipyards were built in advance and located in Esteiro. The expansion coincided with a new naval policy during the reigns of Fernando VI and Carlos III. The Shipyards, where up to twelve warships could be built at any one time, employed more than 5,000 workers.

Lithograph of Josť Alonso Esquivel (1850), Museo Naval de Ferrol
Close