Ferrol - Urban History
Foundation
Castle of San Felipe, at the mouth of the estuary (2003)

Designed by the engineer Montaigu, the Castle of San Felipe was built in 1731-44 over the remains of a previous fortress. The new castle combined the fidelity of the technical teachings of Vauban with a clever adaptation to the landscape. Laid out in the shape of an arrowhead, it directed a double line of fire towards the sea on two levels, with a great facade of fortifications pointing towards its landward side. On the other side of the estuary is the Castle of La Palma. A chain was stretched between both fortresses, slowing the passage of ships that were then subjected to fierce crossfire.

Photograph by the author
Close