Ferrol - Urban History
Foundation
The towns of A Graña and Mugardos, in the Ferrol estuary (1867)

The first stage of the construction of Ferrol took place during the reign of Felipe V and lasted until 1740. Warehouses, offices, and shipyards were provisionally located in the small village of A Graña, where the future Marquis of Ensenada would first come into contact with them, then still a simple royal commissary. From 1746 onwards the shipyards and the civil and military sheds were moved to their current location out at estuary.

J. Baamonde y Ortega, Album pintoresco, geográfico estadístico, histórico y descriptivo de la ciudad departamental marítima de Ferrol y sus inmediaciones (Ferrol, 1867)
Close