Ferrol - Urban History
Foundation
Charity Hospital

The Charity Hospital was an initiative of Dionisio Sánchez Aguilera, engineer and Sergeant Major of the Fortress, and was financed by the city council and private donations. The Charity Hospital was inaugurated in 1786 to attend to the 'maestranza', who could only be looked after in the Navy Hospital in the event of an accident at work, whilst their families were not entitled to this care. Hospital care and pensions for retirement, disability, or sickness were part of the charitable fund for the 'maestranza', a further element of the reforms introduced under the Bourbons for specialist workers. The financial difficulties of the monarchy posed a serious threat to this situation, leading to employment disputes. The charitable fund was finally abolished in 1825.

J.R. Soraluce, O antigo Hospital de Esteiro. Campus Universitario de Ferrol (A Coruña, 1996)
Close