After the King's failed siege of Hull in July 1642 he left a small garrison in Beverley, but this was soon ejected by forces under Colonel Francis Boynton. Thereafter Beverley remained in parliamentarian hands until August 1643. It became an important fundraising centre for the East Riding parliamentarians and a large garrison was established there in March 1643. The garrison accounts begin on 20 March and this date is corroborated by records from the Committee of Indemnity that demonstrate the garrison's inception as between Lady Day and Easter. This committee's records also show that Sir Edward Rodes of Great Houghton was appointed the garrison's commander-in-chief. According to Sir John Hotham, the corporation of Beverley had agreed to quarter the garrison provided the town was reimbursed by an assessment collected across the East Riding. The accounts cease a week before the arrest of Sir Edward Rodes and the unsuccessful attack on Beverley by royalist forces sent by Sir Hugh Cholmley on 29 June 1643.
(Online publication September 15 2011)