When research under the IGY programme began in Antarctica, the Soviet Union undertook the task of studying vast areas of the sector south of the Indian Ocean.
In 1956, the First Combined Antarctic Expedition headed by M. M. Somov set up the main base, Mirny observatory, on the Davis Sea coast. This was followed by five subsequent expeditions inland during which new stations have been established hi the heart of Antarctica.
(Received June 24 1961)
* Northern Sea Route Administration, USSR Ministry of Merchant Marine [Glavsevmorput' Ministerstva Morskogo Flota].